St. Eloi, 27 March – 16 April 1916

“St. Eloi […] was fought on a front of not more than one thousand yards, on ground blasted beyond recognition by high explosive shells, churned by constant rain, and distinguished from the surrounding morass only by St. Eloi mound and the series of mine craters on top.”

[Fetherstonhaugh,The 24th Battalion CEF, Victoria Rifles of Canada 1914-1919, 43]